Thursday, September 5, 2013

My Holiday Visitor

     It's been a quiet week in Solomonland, and I did not have anything to tell you.  I thought I might have to skip a week of blogging.  But then, without warning, a stranger walked into my life and brought the excitement I'd been missing!
     I've got a skunk.
     A big, fat, bold skunk.  He trots out from under my backyard deck and scurries across my yard at dusk.  He appears to know his way around.
     This is not my first skunk rodeo.
     I call ABC Humane Wildlife to come set up a trap, as recommended by the Village of Wilmette.  ABC promises not to kill the trapped animals.  Instead, they take them to the enchanted forest where Snow White lives, and together they will sing songs and  frolic in the woods.
     Actually, I do not expect to catch this skunk or any others in the trap.  My hope is that the skunks will see the trap and move next door to live in my neighbor's yard.
     The first day of trap watching is uneventful.  I suspect the skunks are checking out the trap and laughing at me.
     On the second day, my suspicion is confirmed.  The bait is eaten, but no animal is in the trap.  My husband and I watch the video on the ABC web site to learn how to re-bait the trap.  Skunks like sweet food, so I smear some Sara Lee Honey Turkey with some raspberry jam.  My husband looks at my offering and tells me this is one of  my top three dinners.  (Read here to find out more about smart aleck husband.)
     The third day I wake up to a note from my husband telling me that there is an animal in the trap.  I go outside and see that the trap has sprung, but because the trap is covered in in brown cardboard I cannot see who is in there.  I move the trap with my foot, but it doesn't feel heavy, and I suspect that the skunks came, dined on the turkey and jam, and walked off.  I pick up the trap and see something with gray matted fur that doesn't move and I drop it like a hot potato and scream.  I call ABC and describe my trauma, and learn that I've probably caught a possum who was, alas, playing possum.
     Chris from ABC comes to my house and takes the possum for counseling and rehabilitation.  I ask him what he uses to bait the trap, and he says that he usually uses liverwurst and grape jelly, but today he's going to use a little something special to see if he can attract the skunk.  I wonder why he didn't use it the first time, and am reminded that I pay $65 every time he comes to the house.
     I don't know what Chris' "something special" could be, but tonight the skunks are in for a special High Holiday meal.  It's Rosh Hashanah, and there are leftovers. I imagine that in the enchanted forest tomorrow, they'll all be talking about my brisket.
   

5 comments:

  1. L'Shana Tova to your family and the skunk's family. How about a little apples and honey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise,
    Great idea! I can smear the brisket with honey! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5774 appears to be a propitious year for rodents and other mammals in the Solomon family -- though I'm afraid that a mouse somewhere in my apartment seems even less glamorous than a skunk! L'Shana Tova; I hope that the new year sweetens up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha -- forgot to sign. This is Rachel, still enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete